Saturday, June 19, 2010

Teaching Jack(dogs) to Come When Called

One of the first things I wanted to learn was how to teach my dog to come when called.
I once dog st for a friend who has two adorable dogs that become terrors if they get loose outside. I want to trust that my dog is under control outside leash or no leash. As a matter of fact Jack being a dachshund has a hard time with collars and when you put a harness on him he acts like you  just put an anchor around him. It is so funny he will just slink under a table or something and lay there pouting.
Anyway back to the subject teaching your dog to respond to the come command is one of the most important commands you can teach. Teaching your dog to ignore other more interesting sights and scents  can be difficult especially if not done right away. So I highly recommend that you start early, train often and practice even after your dog has learned.
So, how do you teach your dog to come when called? You make sure he knows that coming to you is always more rewarding than what ever else he may find.And you make sure that he never is scolded once he comes to you. No matter how much you feel like chastising him for whatever mischief he's just caused. Instead if you call your dog and he comes to you offer him lots of praise and in the beginning lots of treats. It may go against your instincts to praise your dog for bad behavior but that is not what you are actually doing. You are praising your dog for the good behavior of coming to you when you called. Because smart dogs will quickly learn that even when they have been bad if they come running to you when you call all will be forgiven and maybe he will even get a treat.
So to start the training place your dog on a long lead. (make sure to first introduce the leash several times before training on it) It is also helpful to have a helper at first. To start off have your helper hold the dog back while you stand a fair distance from your dog, if your dog is already anxious to come to you great if he is distracted be sure he is focused on you by using treats or a favorite toy. Once your the focus of attention and your dog is strugling to come see you, kneal down and signal to your dog while you call him enthusiasticly. Your helper should release the dog as soon as you signal. Once your dog comes to you it is up to you to really praise him, lay it on thick. Your dog will love to play the game and will quickly show you he can come  to you when you call. But do not stop training because this step is only the first and to be effective it is  importat that you repeat this step many many times probably over at least 2 training sessions maybe more depending on the dog. Step two allow your dog to become distracted by a scent or sound then kneel down and give your dog the signal while calling her. When your dog comes to you  praise. It is so so important to praise, and I really mean it make your dog feel like a king any time she comes to you. (If your dog is a runner please do not drop the lead just us a long one. Or train in an enclosed area.) When I was trainig Jack to come I would walk him to an area that was enclosed then let him off lead and as we continue our walk I would just kneel down and call him over and over and over. A funny story about that one day we were out training and I noticed that my legs seemed weak and were starting to hurt. I actually got a little scared that something was wrong with me why were my legs weak all of the sudden then it dawned on me it was from the 30 squats I had just done while calling the dog. Anyway I just kept this up for many training sessions. Even long after we had moved on to other things we would practice this at least 2 times a day. He became a pro quickly. The Sit Stay Fetch Program that I used to learn how to train my dog with has many many other tips and tricks you can use to customize this process to fit the needs of your dog. If you are interested in learning more about how to effectively train your dog I encourage you to check out this program. I loved it.
P.S. If you have a small dog you may find as I did that they like to dance around just outsid of your reach. So when you call it will be important for you to actually get your hands on the dog before you begin praise. Also one other thing that i found to be usefull. Lets say you are in the yard and you want your dog to go inside. If your dog thinks that you are always going to remove it from the party avoiding you will become the new game. So I when ever I think about it and Jack is out having a good time I will call him over and put my hands on him then just release him after a good ata boy. This is good training for learnign to come and also to show your dog that you will not always capture it when it comes you just want them for a sec.

No comments:

Jack Just A Baby

Jack Just A Baby
Jack has Magical Eyes

Stats

Good Dog Sites Track

http://www.i-love-dogs.com/cgi-bin/AutoRank/rankem.cgi?id=laurelr4